Friday, June 13, 2008

Month of May - Happiness, Tragedy and Miracles

On May 3rd I flew to Atlanta for a long weekend. "Mama", Auntrene and I drove to the Mountains for a long weekend (Paul had just started a new job at Kimberly Clark and could not go). We had a wonderful time and had fun shopping, eating lots and just acting silly all around. I flew back on Wednesday - Mama and Marti dropped me off at the airport.

On Friday we got a call and felt we needed to fly to San Antonio on Saturday to check on Pauls family. After helping out a bit there we flew back home on Monday.

Midday on Wednesday the 14th my mother was in a tragic car accident- hit by a driver that had warrants and no insurance. I had awoke at around 3am that Wednesday morning and could not go back to sleep- I was very upset, nervous and as the day progressed felt near a panic attack but for no reason that I could tell. It had gotten so bad, later that morning I called Paul and planned to take something to sleep through the afternoon and to calm down ... and I already had the medicine out when Marti called. Everyone knows how close Mama and I were and it does not suprise me that somehow, inside already knew what was in motion.

While we did not know the full extent of her injuries at that point when Marti called, we thought that all would be fine in the end. I flew out on Thursday morning and went straight to the hospital ready for a long stay of recovery. I slept at the hospital that night and all was going well enough on Friday for Marti and I to go home and not stay overnight at the hospital. On Saturday a turn for the worse - and with about a 15 minute warning she was gone. Paul was already on his way to the airport in Dallas, but we were lucky enough to have all our aunts and uncles and a couple of very dear friends with Marti, Onva and I.

There is not a day or hour that goes by that I dont miss her, and from the calls and cards I have received I am not alone .....

And in the end a miracle of happiness - born the next morning after the funeral, Brad and Jacquita had a beautiful adopted daughter delivered to them .... and her name is Nola.

Mama was so proud that little Nola was going to be named after her and even though they never had a chance to meet, I am sure she is already watching over her, and us all, from above.

No comments: